Head of Development / Software Lead, Simomics Ltd
Simomics Ltd are looking to appoint a Head of Development / Software Lead. This new senior leadership position in Simomics will give the successful applicant the opportunity to join a York based software company at an exciting time where they will scale-up, develop and grow the software development team under their supervision. Reporting directly to the CEO initially, you will be taking ownership of the software development function and, working with the Solutions Lead at Simomics, bring our new range of corporate environmental responsibility (CER) products to market.
You must have a strong technical background, skilled with cloud-based SaaS software development using AWS cloud-native services, modern web-based frameworks and languages such as Vue.js, React and Python, and design patterns. You will grow and lead the development team, made up of technical leads, developers, testers and devops personnel and work collaboratively with the Solutions Lead to ensure timely delivery of products to clients.
You will need to work collaboratively to inspire colleagues and drive change in the organisation, enabling a high performance team culture. You must be experienced in Agile software development, be able to direct and mentor a dispersed team and work hands-on with the codebase and infrastructure as necessary. You will also need to manage expectations of the development team, solution team and company leadership team. You will be responsible for ensuring the technical integrity of the products and you will be the final arbiter of technical decisions as they arise. We are looking for applicants with proven successful line management experience and recent experience of scaling-up a start-up company, who are excited by the opportunity to join a growing company that has a secure financial position. Some travel will be expected to client sites both in the UK and abroad.
Simomics develops software to explore, communicate and maximise the value of in-silico models to support environmental protection initiatives and predict and mitigate the effects of chemicals in the environment.
Simomics is an ethics-led software technology SME, driven by a strong mission and purpose to promote corporate environmental responsibility, and the replacement, reduction, and refinement of the use of animals for scientific purposes through in-silico modelling.
Based in York since 2014, our client base already includes top-tier global clients in the pharmaceutical and personal care industries, and we have plans to expand into additional industry sectors and new global markets in the future.
- Lead the technical leads and development teams
- Provide technical oversight for all software product development
- Provide strategic technical development direction, coaching, mentoring and line management of the development team for the development of products and services
- Provide leadership for appropriate ISO accreditation
- Ensure adequate security protocols are in place
- Work closely with the solutions team to ensure technical strategic objectives of the company are delivered in a timely and cost-effective manner, while managing expectations
- Work co-located with the development team as required, and support occasional sales meetings either remotely or in the field
SKILLS & CAPABILITIES
- Able to inspire, coach, mentor, lead and manage people
- Effective decision maker
- Expertise with AWS Cloud services and other cloud computing services
- Modern software architecture and design patterns including scalable cloud platforms
- Full-stack software frameworks and languages such as Python, Django, Vue.js, React to build modern responsive web-based systems
- Excellent knowledge of databases (SQL/Postgres)
- Clear communicator
- Articulate technological work for prioritisation with Senior Stakeholders
- Identify the communications needs of each stakeholder group in conjunction with business owners and subject matter experts
- Translate communication / stakeholder engagement strategies into specific tasks
- Facilitate open communication and discussion between stakeholders, acting as a single point of contact by developing, maintaining relationships
Self Organisation and Teamwork
- Able to plan, organise and manage workloads under ambitious timescales
- Work collaboratively with all team members
- Minimum of 2 years of team leader or equivalent experience
- Have taken a product or service to market
- Have led a team through growth and change
- BSc in Computer Science, Engineering or relevant field as a minimum
At Simomics, we want to attract the best people and retain them. We offer a competitive remuneration package, with salary opportunities in the region of £55,000 to £75,000 for this role, depending on experience. Please include your salary expectations in your cover note.
We would expect the successful candidate to be based at our York offices, when the opportunity permits. However, a combination of remote and office working will be considered.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply by submitting your CV and a cover note explaining how you meet the above criteria to email@example.com.
Interviews will be conducted remotely due to the working restrictions currently in place.
Recruitment Agencies and Consultants need not apply.